One woman’s fight against the patriarchy, is every woman’s victory.
Fahrije’s husband has been missing since the war in Kosovo, and along with their grief, her family is struggling financially. In order to provide for them she launches a small agricultural business, but in the traditional patriarchal village where she lives, her ambition and efforts to empower herself and other women are not seen as positive things. She struggles not only to keep her family afloat but also against a hostile community who is rooting for her to fail.
- World Cinema Dramatic Audience Award – Sundance Film Festival 2021
- World Cinema Dramatic Directing Award – Sundance Film Festival 2021
- World Cinema Dramatic Grand Jury Prize – Sundance Film Festival 2021
- Narrative Feature Jury Award – Berkshire International Film Festival 2021
- Gold Star Best Film – Cinedays Skopje Film Festival
- Cine Balkan Panorama Best Film – ODA Tetova International Film Festival 2021
- Honey & Blood Competition Best Film – PriFest Prishtina International Film Festival 2021
- Annual Achievement Award for Kosovo Filmmaker – PriFest Prishtina International Film Festival 2021
“An engrossing, utterly classic tale of overcoming adversity.” – The Hollywood Reporter
“Hive builds a strong storyline around the self-reliance and determination of an uneducated country woman, played with glammed-down but riveting cool by a granite-faced Yllka Gashi.” – The Hollywood Reporter
“It’s based on a true story of feminist defiance and healing that counts as one of the more affecting tales of recovery to come from the conflict, which decimated villages and, from its massacres, left many families of the missing in a limbo of grief that still exists.” Los Angeles Times
“Basholli's film is a spare and unsparing portrait of a survivor who refuses to bend to ancient traditions. As storytelling, this is as good as it gets.” The Mercury News
“The film is stirring, infuriating, and ultimately hopeful.” - Vox